Wednesday, 26 April 2006

The coffee situation in Japan is dire. No, really dire. I've been reduced to imbibing the next most addictive substance after crack.

Yes, I drink Blendy coffee. Firstly, it is not real coffee. It is a coffee flavoured beverage. Well, it tastes like a coffee-like flavoured beverage. When I first arrived, I drank a cup of Blendy and decided that I'd rather eat my own eyeballs. But it is strangely addictive. Now I think "Oh, I've got ten minutes before I have to leave for work - just enough time for another cup of Blendy!"

So how do you make Blendy? First you buy it in a big bottle at the shop. Then you pour some into a cup and nuke it for about 2.5 minutes (a trap for young players: if you heat it for three minutes it superheats and you are risking burns and deformity). Then you top it up with milk and it tastes foul. Lovely huh?

When Buster arrived in Japan, I made him a cup of Blendy to drink with his breakfast. He despised it. But now the tables have turned, and this very evening after dinner he said to me "how about a cup of Blendy and a biscuit?" So I've throughly corrupted the coffee purist.

But it gets worse. He is now also drinking vending machine coffee. Even I draw the line at hot coffee IN A CAN from a vending machine. It's just wrong. Wrong I tell you.


Here's Buster ruining his life in the fruitless pursuit of the perfect vending machine coffee. I know, pathetic isn't it? Let your glance take in the momentary look of hope on his face. Maybe, just maybe, this could be real coffee and not just the ultimately disappointing coffee flavoured beverage that is the reality of vending machines in Japan.

3 Comments:

Blogger Craig said...

Look at how tiny that can is and how enormous the cans of Coke in the machine are!

So, is there no way to get regular coffee or is it just that once you gone Blendy, the addiction takes hold of you and you don't want the real thing?

8:23 pm  
Blogger Blandwagon said...

I think you must subconsciously love it just for the name. Blendy! Who couldn't help but love a drink called Blendy!

Now I want some :(

12:46 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey lg

you must try the tea in a can, it's REALLY nice - seriously.

n-s.

8:38 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home