Monday, 18 September 2006

Yesterday we went to Ota. I have no idea what is actually in Ota except for a big shopping centre as it was bucketing down rain and the whole point of us driving all the way to Ota was to visit said big shopping centre. As far as shopping centres go, it wasn't that big, but I suspect it was reasonably big for Japan. But it was worth the drive as we located a big book store with more than the usual selection of English language books (the usual selection being the apparently de riguer copies of Patricia Cornwell, John Grisham and the ubiquitous Dan Brown selection).


These are the books I bought in Ota.

I was pleased to pick up a couple of books that I've wanted to read for a while - the Zadie Smith book and the Haruki Murakami book. I was also pleased to find another Paul Auster book that I haven't read yet. The Bill Bryson book was a birthday present for Buster that he is already enjoying (or so he says). I've never read it but I listened to the audio book last year and I loved it. I've just finished reading the Robert Goddard book "Sight Unseen" and it was pretty good. Essentially, if you've read one Robert Goddard book, you've read them all but they are an enjoyable way to spend a rainy day (luckily today was rainy).

We also came across an imported food store that housed a treasure trove of edible delights - the most exciting of which was Terry's Chocolate Orange (Dark Chocolate). If you've never had a Terry's Chocolate Orange - you are seriously missing out on one of life's joys. It's pretty much orange flavoured chocolate but it's orange flavoured chocolate that has transcended this world of pain, agony and inferior chocolate treats. It is the chocolate that Buddha himself would eat.


Terry's Chocolate Orange.

Then you open the box, remove the "orange", bang it on the table, unwrap ...


Voila.


And look - each segment is molded to look like a real orange segment! Sheer genius.


So I've managed to restrain myself and only eat a tiny bit so far but I dare say that my resolve will rapidly crumble and I'll be travelling to Ota again in the not to distant future.

2 Comments:

Blogger MC Etcher said...

Yay Chocolate Oranges! I usually get one around Christmas, they're delicious!

9:50 pm  
Blogger Craig said...

I didn't even know Ota had a shopping center. Before reading this, all I knew about Ota was that he is the guy that says "Fukui-san" all the time on Iron Chef.

4:15 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home